8 Different Types of Litter: Which One is Best for Me?
Kitty litter is the one thing that cat owners should never run out of. Cats are clean creatures, and they prefer to bury their urine and poop when defecating. Litter is the medium in which cats will bury their wastes plus it can control the odor.
If you’re buying kitty litter for the first time or are looking to switch your old one, here’s what you should know about it.
What are the 8 Kinds of Cat Litter?
Knowing what the types of cat litter are and how they differ from others will help you decide which one to choose.
- Clay. It is the most popular type of kitty litter which uses carbon and plant extracts to control odor.
- Corn. Litter made from corn is an eco-friendly alternative as it is biodegradable, and it comes in scented or natural-scented variants.
- Coconut Husk. This type of litter has a natural scent and is dust-free. It is, however, more difficult to find than traditional litter.
- Wheat. Wheat kitty litter absorbs odor well and clumps naturally although not as much as clay litter.
- Wood. Wood litter often has a pine odor that some pet owners may find too strong. It doesn’t clump and it acts as a natural deodorizer.
- Walnut Shells. Litter made from walnut shells are highly absorbent and are low in dust. They are great for the earth-conscious as their source is renewable.
- Recycled Newspaper. Most cat litter made from recycled newspapers is unscented and they are the cheapest type too. They are best for cats recovering from surgery.
- Silica. Silica cat litter is more expensive than other types but they are reusable for about one month so they can be more practical.
Choosing the Right Type of Cat Litter
To help you decide on which type of kitty litter is best for you and your pet, ask yourself these questions: Do I prefer scented or natural? Does biodegradability matter to me? Is clumping or non-clumping litter better for my cat? How much odor control do I need from the litter?
Once you have the answer to these questions, we’re sure that you can settle on the right type of kitty litter for your fur baby. Our list of litter types above can serve as your guide in choosing the right one.
How To Prepare For Kittens With Your Pregnant Cat
Are you ready for the adorable queen you care for to give birth to her kittens? Is this the first time you’ve seen your cat give birth? Although it is ideal for letting a mother cat do her job when it comes to giving birth to her kittens, you should…
What is the Effect of the Full Moon on My Cat?
Ever wonder if the full moon has anything to do with strange behavior in cats? Have you ever noticed a pattern? So, does the moon affect cats? It certainly seems to be the case in our experience! During the full moon, we’ve noticed cats who exhibit uncharacteristic, quirky, and rebellious…
Does My Cat Know When I’m Sad?
Cats can develop an emotional bond with their owners that many people believe is unmatched by dogs. While some cats will sleep near or on top of you in the morning, this may be because they want warmth from your body temperature rather than showing love for what is going…